Saturday, October 18, 2008

Impacted

This upcoming week is, for lack of a better word, Homecoming week here at school, during which the classes compete against each other in service activities, skits, and dance for points. This morning was Impact Day, a community service day where we break into groups and go around town doing good work (and sometimes keeping in touch). I signed up to go clean and do random tasks at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (a wonderful, splendiferous place). We got there and were directed to reorganized their furniture display so that a) the display included the rugs available, and b) it looked like mini room displays, kind of like those in retail stores. We did, it was fun, and I got to browse some as well. The store has a random shelf of lids that includes a duplicate of that which currently tops our butter dish. When we finished that, they had us paint some dividers from black to white. Much fun, and I was very glad I had worn my paint pants. When we finished up and were about to leave, our group leader came up and said, "I don't want to alarm anybody, but that was lead paint."
Whee.
Lead paint all over our arms, some faces, clothes, and we hadn't worn masks or gloves, though the area had been ventilated to the extent that the door was open.
Thankfully, the group leader's father is a doctor, and he said that as long as we got it off pronto and didn't make a habit of using lead paint that we should be fine. We all used mineral spirits from the Printmaking room to get the paint off, and I am not sure whether or not to keep my pants (a favorite pair, and highly useful for art classes).
I go general grr, but on a happy note, Le Batard came by this evening and we all visited, he gave me a back massage, and then we went to the Opera Scenes on campus, all of which made me much happier than earlier today.

My head hurts and Monkey is waiting up for this post before making us both go to bed.
Bon nuit, mes amies.
~Brilliance and Light

2 comments:

Java said...

Where in the hell did they get lead paint? Was it old old old?

I don't know how to advise you about the lead paint on your pants. I'll ask your father, see if he knows.

However, I'm sure you discovered that lead paint covers really well. If you painted white over black, I rather imagine it covered the black pretty well.

Brilliant or Something said...

I have no idea where they got it, but it wasn't separated and yes it covered well when applied correctly. 1.5-2 coats. Quite nice, except for the toxicity factor.