Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tidbits

*LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*
That's what my New Deal program paper has done for the past, oh, week or so. It got really bad on Tuesday, since it was due this morning. Monkey and I both have the class, (though we focused on different subjects) and worked like little dervishes Tuesday and especially last night. I went to bed around 3 when I spent more time staring at the screen thinking about cheese and sleep, and less time staring at the screen wondering where I read that one random fact in the 20-odd double pages of photocopied, color-coded notes (it was never in the color-coded section, BTW). I finished it off this morning before class. I love the class, I learn economic & historical stuff & how the areas effect each other during one of (IMHO) the most interesting periods of American history, but DAMN if it isn't difficult to keep up sometimes. (No Block, Monkey!)
On a related note, has anyone else ever had trouble keeping within a word limit for a paper? This one was 1000-1200 words, and the shortest I could get it without doing some MAJOR limb-whacking was 1509 (incl. parenthetical documentation). I didn't even go into a lot of the political and civil rights influences because I knew I'd have to cut them. (I just realized I don't have a tag 'procrastination' on a blog titled procrastination. Go fig.)

As I mentioned in my last post, I was elected (in a very informal "Okay, who wants to run for [position]? Anybody got a problem? All in favor? All opposed? ...all abstaining?" meeting) VP of the college's Friends of Lesbians And Gays (FLAG) chapter. Flag is a Student Government Assn. group. I 'get' to go on the SGA retreat this weekend, Friday afternoon to Saturday evening. Thankfully I won't be alone; the Pres (apparently my 'owner') is coming too.

My friends have discovered, through virtue of my new haircut, the amazing somnolescent affect that 'scritching' my head has on me. Monkey likes to pet my hair, and a few other of our friends have recently taken to rubbing the hair as well (don't ask me why, I'm not complaining). They discovered at dinner tonight that scritching tends to put me into a bit of a trance where I lose concentration on all else. A number of them (one in particular who also likes to pick on my ADHD tendencies anent highly reflective objects) had fun.

Laters,
~Brill

3 comments:

Concolor said...

Dearest Daughterish Type -

Couple housekeeping things first (and I do realize that you are working on a sleep deficit, but nevertheless ...) The words are "focused" and "affect". Affect in this context means "to have an influence on". The use of "effect" would mean "bring into being".

I am so glad you got your paper done! I had similar issues with keeping my word-count under a pre-set (often very arbitrary) limit. I bet you could've figured that one out, though, knowing what you do of Gone Wylde. Logorrhea to the max.

Truly eager to have you home. Come on Spring Break!

Java said...

My dear, do you think I might have ever had any trouble keeping a paper within a word limit? Moi???

Funny, the hair scritching thing. Would that I were a fly on the wall. :-)

Love ya sweetie!

Brilliant or Something said...

OK, I thought "Focussed" looked weird, but the spell check on here didn't have any prob with it. It doesn't like soporific, though.
I've always had trouble with the whole effect/affect bit.
Miss you both, but I'll see you 2 weeks from today!