Saturday, January 26, 2008

Books

I have finally finished a book Mum lent me...just after I left for college. It's From Boys To Men: Gay men write about growing up. A collection of short stories/anecdotes (truly the best kind for my fractured, ADD-type brain), one would think that I'd've finished the darned thing earlier. No, I got about 2.5 stories into it, got distracted by something shiny, and didn't pick it up again until this past week, mostly during car trips with Monkey or lounging around the dorm.
Due to the vast number of writers, the tone varies throughout the book from lascivious in few parts to precocious (especially those dealing with younguns) to heartwarming to even slightly haunting. I'm hooked on anthologies, especially gay anthologies. Mum still has (and hasn't, to my knowledge, finished) a collection I found in Barnes & Noble entitled Boys Like Us. I hadn't finished it either when I lent it to her. An end note in From Boys To Men said that one of the authors appears in both. I think I'll steal it back over break so I can finish it.
Another really good read is, well, anything by David Sedaris, IMHO. He's one of the ones on my Library Wish List, along with complete collections of Shakespeare (check, thanks to the wonderfulness of the Mum and Da), C.S. Lewis, and at least one complete set of encyclopedias. It occurs to me that I'm going to have a very odd book collection.

Continuing on the subject of books, I finally caved and bought some of the books for next semester. Since, as I said, I already have the complete Shakespeare, I didn't have to shell out $90+ bucks to the scalpers in the campus bookstore. However, I now have an interesting (USED!!!) tome entitled Birth, Marriage, & Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life-Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England. Potentially fascinating, if it's not dry as dust.

I am being ordered by Monkey to do my laundry; apparently all the washers in the basement are empty, and she finds my method of carpeting-by-laundry unappealing. Alas and alack, I bid thee farewell, my laptop....

~Brill

1 comment:

Java said...

Carpeting by laundry isn't acceptable? But it serves so many useful purposes.
No, I haven't finished Boys Like Us. But it is in my backpack and is going on the ship with me. Maybe I'll read it this week.
Leaving Sunday early afternoon, do not call me after that! Roaming charges out of the coutry are, well, let's just say you won't be getting any more books for your classes if I have to pay that roaming charge.
Love ya' baby girl
Mumsie