Monday, December 10, 2007

I Hate SC Weather

(Correction to previous post: It's not 'Badhanguliasana," it's spelled 'Baddhanguliyasana.' my bad. ...That was today's final, on which I think I actually did fairly well).
South Carolina has approximately 12 seasons, or 4 oscillating year-round. They are as follows: Summer, Almost Summer, Just After Summer, and Very Chilly Fall (aka winter). It is December the 10th, and SC is in a high snit of Almost Summer.
My college turned on the heat (or, switched the HVAC system from AC to H) about mid-November; before this occurs, the temp must have fallen below 30 for about a week, and once the system is set to Heat it cannot be turned back until the 'Spring' (see: "Almost Summer," above). We were (almost) all freezing, and very happy when the 'blessed event' finally happened. Howe'er. Today is December 10th (first day of Exam week, incidentally) and the high today is in the high 70's. Little to no cloud cover. The forecast reads the same for today, tomorrow, et cetera et cetera ad nauseum at least through my departure for Christmas break.
The typical SC year goes as follows (with few, though not non-existent, exceptions):

January: Mostly Very Chilly Fall, with as much as a week of Almost Summer.
February: V.C.F. Wet.
March: rapid oscillation between V.C.F. and A.S. Wind.
April-October: Summer (sometimes extending into early November).
November: Just After Summer, a sudden freeze that raises everyone's hopes, and then more J.A.S.
December: Usually V.C.F., but one can never be too certain. Don't pack the short-shorts and T-shirts too far away.

This year, as I'm sure many know, our Summer included a week of frost that killed most fruit in the region. Frickin' weather!

I have painting to do, but the weather just needed to be vilified.
~Brill

2 comments:

Java said...

I second your motion, and raise you 5 degrees. Don't let Robert know how badly we're messing up his Rules of Order. This is not the weather I signed on for when I agreed to enter December.

Brilliant or Something said...

It's supposed to snap back down to some approximation of cold this weekend, according to a classmate....Watch me forget to pack anything warm AGAIN.